The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) reported illnesses that have ranged from mild symptoms to severe illness for confirmed coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) cases. Symptoms include:
Fever or chills
- Shortness of breath or difficulty breathing
- Muscle or body aches
- New loss of taste or smell
- Sore throat
- Congestion or runny nose
- Nausea or vomiting
Also see: Daily Health Screening (PDF)
What to Do If You Are Sick
If you are experiencing coronavirus symptoms, we encourage you to:
- Stay home and self-isolate to help prevent spreading the disease
- If you are an on-campus student, PLEASE CALL UMC Health Services at 218-281-8512 and someone will direct you further.
- Altru Clinic (400 S Minnesota St, Crookston, MN) - 218-281-9100
- RiverView Health (323 S Minnesota St, Crookston, MN) - 218-281-9200
- State of Minnesota Testing
Community Rapid Testing
1801 University Avenue
Crookston, MN 56716
Open Thursday and Friday’s 11:00 a.m. until 6:00 p.m.
Governor Tim Walz announced a new Community COVID-19 Rapid (Antigen) Testing Site in Polk County. With the support of the National Guard, the state launched this site on October 21, 2021 at the Crookston Armory. Testing at the state’s new rapid testing site is recommended for symptomatic individuals and is open to community members with or without insurance. While walk-ins are welcome, people seeking testing at this site can make an appointment.
Rapid test results will be available within approximately 1-3 hours of processing. Testing is free at all of the state’s community testing sites. Participants that have health insurance will be asked for their insurance information so the state can bill their insurance company on their behalf.
At Home Testing
The State of Minnesota is proud to offer fast and accurate COVID-19 saliva testing, at no cost, to any person who feels they need a test.
- Order your test from Vault. The test kit will arrive at your home via expedited shipping. (Recommend to get 2 tests)
- Log on for a virtual visit with a Vault test supervisor (required to get results); they will show you how to collect your saliva sample. You must not eat, drink, smoke, or chew anything for 30 minutes before your testing session.
- Ship your sample to the lab in Oakdale using a prepaid UPS package.
- Get your result 24 to 48 hours after your sample arrives at the lab.
Who Should Get Tested for COVID-19?
- Anyone who has any symptoms.
- Anyone who has had close contact with someone who tested positive for COVID-19.
- Anyone traveling or returning from travel.
- Anyone who has attended a high-risk activity.
- Anyone who is not fully vaccinated and who works in close contact with a lot of people.
- Anyone who is not fully vaccinated and who participates in in-person school, extracurricular activities, or sporting activities.
- People with immunocompromising conditions, even if fully vaccinated.
- Anyone who has been asked or referred to get tested by their health care provider, or state, tribal, local, or territorial health department.
Also see: MN Department of Health COVID-19 Testing Recommendations Chart (PDF)
Wearing Masks and Social Distancing to Protect Other People
To help prevent the spread of COVID-19, the CDC recommends that you should cover your mouth and nose with a cloth face cover when in public, or when you are around other people.
Contact UMC Health Services with any questions.